In a chemical-laden world…common, non-toxic kitchen ingredients such as:
- baking soda
- castile soap
- and a variety of herbs
…are all wonderfully effective remedies for the home. Banish harmful chemicals and the production of environmental from your home with the help of the following resources.
We all want the best for our families. In order to provide that, it’s sometimes necessary to make sacrifices, but the benefits of doing so are well worth it. Over the years, I’ve found a few things to be very beneficial for my family in creating a natural home environment. These are some of them:
Chemical-Free Homemade Cleaners
*Here are a few super easy all-natural, herbal recipes for green cleaning around the home.
- Simply Clean: DIY Solutions For A Naturally Clean Home
- DIY All Purpose Cleaner
- Windows and Mirrors
- Disinfecting Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Homemade Bleach
- All-Natural Disinfecting Spray
- Soap Scum Spray
- Wood Furniture Dusting Spray
- Homemade Laundry Soap
- Liquid Dish Soap
- Homemade Liquid Herbal Hand Soap and Body Wash
- Old-Fashioned Lye Soap
- Homemade Laundry Stick
- Kitchen Coffee Spice Bar Soap
- Pumice Stone Soap
- Repurposing Greywater: Ways to Save Money by Repurposing Household Greywater
- No microwave – Say What?
- Living Paper-Free and Loving It: 15 Tips for Creating a Paperless Home
- 10 Reasons to Line-Dry Your Laundry
- The Proper Way to Hang Clothes and Linens on a Clothesline
- Eliminating Wrinkles and Stiffness from Line-Dried Clothing
While conventional or allopathic medicine is particularly effective in life-threatening situations and unrivaled in its ability to save lives, herbal medicine is the medicine of the home. It is used most effectively for the myriad non-emergency health problems that arise in everyday life: simple first-aid situations, the bumps and bruises of life, headaches, colds and fevers and flu, coughs and aches and pains, and chronic illnesses.
But more important than “curing” illnesses, plants play a great role in preventing them. Rich in nutrients, herbs are the supreme preventing medicine, bolstering our body’s ability to fight off pathogens that cause illness.
–Rosemary Gladstar, Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner’s Guide
I love making my own plant medicines and natural body care products. From simple soaps, to lotions, lip balms, shampoo bars, and salves…you might even say I’m obsessed!
My passion for natural health has led me to create a thriving little business selling high-quality, handcrafted products online and in stores throughout the US.
Prior to starting Frugally Sustainable, I practiced as a registered nurse for 9 years, obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing in 2010. However, the modern shifts in healthcare have fueled my desire for a simpler, effective, more cost-efficient way to facilitate health. I am currently a student at Trinity School of Natural Health pursuing degrees in Doctor of Naturopathy (ND), Master Herbalist (MH), Certificate in Nutritional Counseling (CNC), and Certified Health Specialist (CHS).
My greatest joy comes from sharing the wisdom I have acquired through the years.
- Homemade Probiotic Deodorant – That Really Works!
- How to Make Deodorant Cream
- How to Make a Homemade, All Natural Deodorant for Men
- A Homemade Herbal Deodorant: For Sensitive Skin
Natural Hair Care
- Homemade Probiotic Deodorant
- Basic Shampoo Bar Soap
- Simple lotion
- Simple Homemade Eye Makeup Remover
- DIY Facial Cleanser
Natural Skin Care :: Lips & Lotions
- Warm Vanilla and Raw Honey Lip Balm
- Naturally Tinted Lip Balm
- Chocolate Lovers Lip Balm
- Calendula Lotion
Natural Skin Care :: Balms & Salves
Baby Skin Care
Adolescent Skin Care
- Blemish-Free Facial Soap
- Treat Acne/Blemishes/Pimples Naturally
- Herbal Blemish Astringent
- Herbal Acne Treatment Bar
Natural Oral Care
Plant-Based Medicine and Remedies
- First-Aid Antiseptic Ointment
- Herbal Raw Honey Ointment: For the Treatment of Burns and Wounds
- Herbal Itch Relief Stick
- A Recipe for a First-Aid Antiseptic Wound Spray
- Healing Clay
- Natural Treatment for Ear Infections
- Herbal Kloss Liniment
- Natural Treatment for Pink Eye
Bumps and Bruises
- How to Treat Migraines with an Herbal Tincture at Home
- How to Make and Use Lavender Flower Extract
- Feverfew & Lemon Balm Herbal Tea
Stress and Anxiety
- Adaptogenic Herbs For Stress Relief ~ And a Recipe for Homemade Smoothie Mix
- A Calming Herbal Tincture
- A Recipe for an Uplifting Herbal Tea
Colds and Fevers and Flu
- Elderberry Syrup and Tinctures
- Master Tonic
- Natural Treatment of a Fever and an Herbal Spray Recipe
- High Dose Oral Vitamin C
- Flu Shot Alternative For the Whole Family
- The Flu is a Vitamin D Deficiency Disease
- Methods, other than immunization, for cold and flu prevention
Coughs and Aches and Pains
- Cold and Cough Syrup
- Herbs for Pain Relief and Sleep: How to Make All Natural Pain and Sleeping Pills
Chronic Illnesses & Natural Sleep Aids
- A Recipe for Herbal Bedtime Tea: An All Natural Sleep Aid
- Make Your Own All-Natural Sleep Aid: A Valerian and Hops Tincture
- How to Make Herbal Sleeping Pills
- Natural Home Remedies for Athlete’s Foot and Candida: A Recipe for an Herbal Anti-Fungal Spray
Resources for Raw Material and Equipment
- Mountain Rose Herbs :: Your one stop shop for all things herbal!
- The Soap Dish :: A wonderful family run online soap supply offering everything you need for home soap production!
- The Specialty Bottle Company :: Affordable, quality containers for all manners of homemade products.
There are many other things you can do to create a natural home environment for your family.
What other suggestions would you make? Please share with me below!
Grace Ebel says
You may already have a post on this, but I was wondering if you had a list of eco-friendly beauty and personal care tools that you recommend, such as tooth brushes, hair brushes, etc.? Thank you!