The skin is our body’s largest organ…
…and everything we put on our skin is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Today — with modern farming and mass production processes the way they are — be assured…there are so many toxic chemicals added to commercially-prepared body care products! Chemicals known to adversely affect the body’s immune system, reproductive system, and nervous system.
Years ago — around the time that I took the dive head-first into natural health — I started looking for alternatives to commercially-prepared EVERYTHING. Starting with locally-grown foods to medicinal salves to making my own shampoo…I found that where there is a will there’s a way!
Likewise, I immediately became curious about all-natural, aluminum-free deodorant.
My entire life prior, I had been an avid anti-perspirant user — the feeling of being sweaty just grossed me out — and initially it was all the correlations made between using that and getting breast cancer…that got the wheels turning. Then when my mother was diagnosed with, and won her battle against, breast cancer…I left anti-perspirants without hesitancy.
There are many reasons why we should be concerned about using anti-perspirants and commercially-prepared deodorants! Here are just a few:
- There are hidden dangers in the active ingredients of conventional deodorant (i.e. Aluminum, Parabens, Propylene glycol, Phthalates, and Triclosan). Current research shows a strong link between anti-perspirants containing aluminum and Alzheimer’s, breast cancer, birth defects, allergies, and hormonal imbalances. These potentially hazardous chemicals have no place in our homes and certainly no place under our arms.
- Let the body do what the body will do! I believe that when we attempt to inhibit the natural functions of the body we negatively effect the rhythms created for a purpose. Humans were meant to sweat.
It was all of these concerns combined that led me to create my own solution.
Since then, I have created several natural deodorants that have been used by many with AMAZING success:
All of these are the traditional stick variety.
Recently — and after the request of several of you — my creative drive kicked in and I set out on a Deodorant Cream making mission.
Deodorant Cream Recipe
-2 ounces (approx. 4 tablespoons) shea butter
-2 ounces (approx. 4 tablespoons) coconut oil (this is the BEST coconut oil on the planet)
-1 ounce (approx. 2 tablespoons) non-nano zinc oxide powder
-5 tablespoons arrowroot powder
-0.5 ounces (approx. 1 tablespoon) raw beeswax
-1/2 teaspoon non-GMO vitamin E oil
***I love adding a few of these ingredients. They are optional — and add tons of odor-fighting goodness — but not necessary for effective use of this product.
-aloe vera extract
-comfrey leaf extract
-20-30 drops of essential oils
For the highest medicinal value available choose dōTERRA™ essential oils or the organic oils from Mountain Rose Herbs…these are the brands I trust to provide the ultimate in health + safety for myself, my family, and my friends.
- Using a kitchen scale, measure the ingredients.
- In a double boiler or small pot, melt shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax over low heat.
- Remove pot from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Add arrowroot powder and zinc powder. Whisk until all powders are dissolved and well combined.
- Add vitamin E oil, extracts, and essential oils (if using) at this time. Stir.
- Pour mixture to a sterile container — one such as these — and allow to cool on counter.
- Label product and store at room temperature. Shelf stable for at least one year, depending on quality of ingredients used.
Using fingertips, apply to underarms daily or after showering. A little goes a long way!
–Zinc Oxide. For safety’s sake, be sure to use only non-nano zinc oxide. Zinc oxide powder is not only a sun protectant, but an antioxidant that is able to soothe, protect and help heal the skin. Likewise, it contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Non-nano zinc oxide is not absorbed by the body and has been proven to present a very low risk to human health.
–Coconut Oil. For centuries, this oil had been widely used as healing oil for all sorts of health problems. Its’ quick penetrating, highly-stable (low risk of rancidity), anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties make it best suited for all skin types. Used topically, common skin invectives such as staphylococcus and streptococcus can be easily eliminated by the regular application of oil on the skin. (this is the BEST coconut oil on the planet)
–Beeswax. Beeswax — one of nature’s most incredible raw materials — provides a superb germ-killing, protective barrier for the delicate skin under the arms.
–Essential Oils. Use 20-30 drops of antibacterial essential oils of any scent, or combination of scents. So pick your favorite and have fun with it! My favorite combos are:
- Geranium & Lime
- Lemongrass, Wild Orange, & Bergamot
- Sandalwood & Ylang Ylang
- Rosemary & Peppermint
Where Can I Get This Stuff?
–Mountain Rose Herbs…they have everything you’ll need by way of Bulk Herbs, Organic Oils & Butters, and Natural Products for Healthy, Natural Living! It’s your one-stop-shop!
Be sure not to miss a post, click this link to receive my free eBook and Frugally Sustainable tips by email.
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my knowledge-sharing/writing/blogging activities, I occasionally may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this article. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.