Thankfully — upon a recent weekend camping trip to the Arizona High-Country — I was able to harvest the last little bit of wild mullein flowers growing at the base of an already snow capped Humphrey’s Peak.
Mullein flowers make one of the most excellent remedies for ear aches and ear infections.
This homemade ear oil is a lovely, all-natural blend of herb-infused oils and essential oils that I have specially crafted so as to soothe irritated, itchy, and sometimes painful ears.
If your family struggles with frequent — or even the occasional — ear infection I’m sure this is the remedy you’ve been looking for!
This ultra-moisturizing, highly antibacterial and antifungal formula should help to keep you and your little ones ear-infection-free this winter.
Herbal Ear Oil Recipe
-4 ounces good-quality, organic olive oil
-0.25 ounce dried mullein flowers
-0.25 ounce dried garlic
-10 drops tea tree oil
-10 drops eucalyptus essential oils
-5 drops lavender essential oils
1. Make an herb-infused oil with the dried mullein flowers and garlic. Click here and read this article for detailed instructions on creating an herb-infused oil.
2. To your mullein flower and garlic infused oil, add the essential oils of tea tree, eucalyptus, and lavender.
3. Fill dark glass dropper bottles full of the medicinal oil. I like these 1 ounce or 2 ounce size bottles.
4. Because cold oil applied to the ear will often increase the pain, always warm the oil to body temperature by placing the bottle in warm water before application.
5. Instill 2-5 drops in the ear three times daily.
6. For best results — and for the highest level of pain relief — follow the application of ear oil with a 10 minute warm compress. A gentle massage behind and below the ear using this recipe for lavender oil will aid in pain relief as well.
7. This oil should keep for 6-12 months in a cool, dark place. Feel free to add a few drops of vitamin E oil in order to extend it’s shelf life.
Please note: It is always best to have the ear drum physically inspected by a licensed health care practitioner prior to applying this or any herbal ear oil.
Where Can I Get This Stuff?
-Mountain Rose Herbs…they have everything (dried herbs, essential oils, and the cute little dark glass dropper bottles) you’ll need for this remedy! It’s your one-stop-shop!
–The Bulk Herb Store also carries many of these ingredients if you’d like to price check.
Now it’s your turn…what all-natural remedies do you use for ear infections?