Oh the physical + emotional agonies caused by acne!
While what we know regarding the science of acne — that it is caused by a buildup of bacteria and dead cells in/on the skin — there are several key factors that have a direct effect on the health of our skin. These primary factors include ::
- overproduction of oil
- irregular shedding of dead skin
My personal struggle with acne began as a teenager, and continued right up to the birth of my oldest daughter. It was just after her birth, that my journey into natural health + herbalism began. Coincidentally, my overall well-being — spiritual, physical, + mental — improved and a multitude of disparities began to resolve.
Acne being one of them!
I can’t really say exactly the ONE thing that was the end-all-be-all remedy. Rather, it had more to do with dramatic changes in the way I ::
- ate (clean, local, homegrown)
- washed my clothes + skin (homemade bar soap + laundry soap)
- remedied illness (herbs…and lots of them)
- cleaned my home (naturally + homemade cleaners)
- aligned my life with the rhythms of nature (i.e. learning the benefits of cycling with the moon)
My life today is certainly a far cry from how it was then.
I’m thankful, not only for myself, but for my family of course.
Nonetheless, although I have created a home that acts as a sanctuary from conventionalism…it is by no means above it.
Today, my oldest daughter — my first ever motivator for natural health — has reached the teenage years. And while we as a family are a bazillion times more toxin-free than my childhood home…we’re by no means above it.
Learn more :: How to Balance Hormones Naturally
Now don’t get me wrong, her skin is incredibly more clear than mine ever was at her age!!! Like…I’m super jealous;)
But occasionally, she has a pimple, and recently asked for “zit cream” (she sites the fact that “all of my friends have it”).
So…to the kitchen I went! And what was created is better than I could have ever hoped for! All of the ingredients used have extraordinary acne-fighting properties and the ability to reduce inflammation and bacteria. And the result have been amazing! So amazing, I have to share with you the recipe in hopes that this information will be a blessing to you!
Acne Spot Treatment Cream
*It is super important here to choose as many organic ingredients as possible. I have linked to the products I use personally for this recipe.
- 1 ounce castor oil
- 3 fluid ounces aloe vera juice (calms redness) OR calendula hydrosol (heal + restore) OR a strong infusion of willow bark (a source of natural salicylic acid-like compounds)
- 0.2 ounce raw, organic honey
- 0.2 ounce emulsifying wax
- 0.2 ounce stearic acid
- 0.05 ounce citric acid
- 1/8 teaspoon rosemary antioxidant (extract)
- 1/4 teaspoon non-GMO vitamin E oil, optional
- 0.2 ounce tea tree essential oil
- 15 drops thyme essential oil
- Using a kitchen scale, weigh all ingredients separately.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the oil, liquid of choice, emulsifying wax, stearic acid, and citric acid.
- Heat mixture on the stove over low heat, until the mixture is well combined and completely melted. Stir frequently.
- Remove from stove.
- Using an immersion blender (or a wire whisk), stir intermittently until slightly cooled.
- Add in raw honey, rosemary antioxidant (extract), vitamin E oil, the powder ingredients, and the essential oils.
- Continue blending or whisking until mixture has cooled and is creamy.
- Pour into storage containers (My personal favorite — the way I keep it for my daughter — is to use these super awesome 1.25 oz GoToob’s)
Apply a thin layer of cream in the evening, directly to the affected area, after cleansing…yes, I still have oily skin). May apply as a spot treatment under makeup.
Here’s to clear skin!