This photo was enhanced by me using PicMonkey’s crazy-awesome photo editing!
Echinacea Root is well known as one of the most powerful immune system builders and stimulators!
It works by first enhancing the quantity of immune cells in our bodies and then by stimulating them to action.
The benefits include…
- a shorter duration of colds and flu.
- prevention of future illnesses/infections.
- speeds recovery from chronic diseases.
Herbs for Cold and Flu Season Health
In my quest to create the perfect winter immunity booster for my family’s health, a Hot Echinacea Tincture was exactly what I was looking for!
It combines some of my most favorite herbs for Fall/Winter health!
And now’s the time to start preparing for what we know is before us!
- Echinacea Angustifolia Root — Naturally increases the actions and functions of the immune system.
- Eleuthero (Siberian Ginseng) Root — An adaptogen, that helps the body properly respond to stress.
- Garlic — The best broad-spectrum herb…well respected for it’s antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal and antiparasitic properties.
- Cayenne Pepper — Capsaicin — the active component of peppers such as Cayenne, Habanero, Serrano, and Jalapeno — stimulates the body’s circulation and makes all of these already powerful herbs many times more effective!
Hot Echinacea Tincture
-1 quart-sized glass mason jar
-1 cup boiling water
–vegetable glycerin, to cover
-45 ml brandy or vodka, optional but great for longer storage
Please note: Part equals volume, not weight.
- As many herbalist recommend — and especially during the shorter days of fall and winter when the sun’s presence has diminished — I like to start this and all of my tinctures, if possible, on a new moon.
- Using a quart-sized glass mason jar, begin filling it with the herbs and dried plant material until it is 1/4 full.
- Add 1 cup of just boiled water over herbs. Then pour in just enough vegetable glycerin to fill the jar, leaving a 1/2 inch head-space. Note: Add the brandy or vodka during this step if using.
- Shake until well combined.
- Set the jar on a counter in a high-traffic area and shake it as many times as possible throughout each day.
- Allow the mixture to steep at least until the following full moon (approximately 2+ weeks) if you’re in a hurry. However, it’s optimal to allow the mixture to steep until the following new moon (approximately 4 weeks).
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth.
- Pour the prepared tincture into a dark glass bottle and discard the herbs. (Note: I love these dark glass bottles for storing my tinctures!)
- Label your tincture with the name, date, and contents.
Basic Immune System Boost
- 35 drops (1 dropperful) 6 times a day for a week.
Cold or Flu Treatment
- 70 drops (2 dropperful) every hour while awake (not to exceed 8 doses), upon show of symptoms, for 2-3 days.
I recommend calculating a child’s dose by using “Young’s Rule.” Add 12 to the child’s age then divide his/her age by that number.
For example, my daughter is 6 therefore the calculation that I will use is 6/18=0.33
I will give her 33% of an adult dose.
Where Can I Get This Stuff?
-Starwest Botanicals they have everything you’ll need for this remedy! It’s your one-stop-shop!
I do have a very limited quantity of these tinctures available for purchase
in my Etsy Shop.
Click on over to the Marketplace
and check out the listing by clicking this link.