lin•i•ment [ línnəmənt ]
pain-relieving liquid rub: a liquid rubbed into the skin to relieve aches or pain, e.g. one containing alcohol and camphor
As defined above, a liniment is an external application that is rubbed into the skin primarily for the purposes of pain relief — and my Cannabis Herbal Liniment recipe was created with herbal allies full of super potent anti-inflammatory + analgesic properties!
When combined into a liniment, these magical plant spirits can ::
- be massage into muscles, both before and after physical activity for immediate soothing relief
- stimulate circulation
- soothe and heal bruising
- relieve the pain of rheumatoid arthritis and gout
- alleviate tension headaches
- reduce the healing time for injuries
- strengthen, protect, and prepare the body for and during exertion
- repair overworked muscles, tendon injuries, and sprains
- act as an anti-inflammatory by reducing inflammation and relieving the associated pain and swelling
- provide really relief from fibromyalgia symptoms
- reduce the itching and inflammation caused by insect bites
- heal skin eruptions of any kind (i.e. acne, etc.)
Herbs such as…
- CBD-rich cannabis flowers + trim (sugar leaf)
- arnica flowers
- comfrey root
- helichrysum flowers
- St. John’s wort
- devil’s claw root
- ginger root
- cayenne pepper
- turmeric root
…are all well-known for their anti-inflammatory, analgesic, sedative, antispasmodic, and anti-microbial properties.
This magical healing liniment is must-have for anyone suffering from pain!
Cannabis Herbal Liniment
*Use organics whenever possible. I have linked to the products I personally use and recommend.
- herbal blend, enough to fill a quart-sized glass mason jar 2/3 full (I use a combination of CBD-rich, indica-dominant cannabis flowers + trim, [you can purchase “legal in all 50 states” CBD-rich hemp flowers here if you live in a state without medical marijuana laws], arnica flowers, comfrey root, helichrysum flowers, St. John’s wort, devil’s claw root, ginger root, cayenne pepper, and turmeric root…use whatever you have on hand. Please note :: The cannabis/CBD-rich hemp + arnica are the secret to this liniment! Use these two if you use nothing else.)
- isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), enough to cover
*Herbal liniments are made in exactly the same way as a tincture. Read more about herbal tincturing here…
- In a quart-sized glass mason jar combine all of the herbs you have chosen to use. Note: For the best medicine, use a grinder or similar object to grind all herbs to a fine consistency.
- Pour isopropyl alcohol over the plant material to fill the jar, leaving an inch of head space.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place lid tightly on jar and let mixture stand in a warm location.
- Let jar stand for at least 4 weeks (6 weeks is awesome too), shake well every day.
- After 4-6 weeks of steeping, strain the liniment well using a piece of unbleached cheesecloth and re-bottle. Note: Be sure to clearly label for EXTERNAL USE ONLY. And store in a cool, dark place.
Apply the liniment every few minutes for an hour or two in acute instances. Otherwise, use freely until desired results are achieved.
Tips for Use
-I like to re-bottle my liniment into these roll top glass bottles for ease of use.
-By applying the liniment to the temples, back of the neck, and to the forehead it can be used as an excellent remedy for a headache.
-Apply to painful and swollen joints to relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
-Useful as a treatment for athlete’s foot. Apply frequently and saturate the affected area thoroughly.
-It also seems to be extremely effective in the treatment of acne!
-Simply apply directly onto skin and massage into sore muscles for instant relief.
Note: Naturally the results will be different for everyone. This is by no means a cure-all. I’m just happy to share with you my experience with these plants and/or oils. Please use conventional wisdom and consult with your medical professional prior to using this or any other herbal remedy. And as we know all too well the FDA doesn’t like any type of claim…therefore, take it for what it is, and remember, this information is purely educational in its purpose.
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my knowledge-sharing/writing/blogging activities, I occasionally may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this article. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.