A well-made herbal pain relieving salve has a multitude beneficial and healing uses.
And this Peaceful Warrior’s Salve is a soothing salve full of super potent anti-inflammatory herbs + analgesic essential oils that can be applied topically — and from personal use and experience:
- can be massage into muscles, both before and after physical activity
- it stimulates circulation
- soothes and heals bruising
- relieves the pain of rheumatoid arthritis, gout, and tension headaches
- has the power to strengthen, protect, and prepare the body for and during exertion
- repairs overworked muscles, tendon injuries, and sprains
- acts as an anti-inflammatory by reducing inflammation and relieving the associated pain and swelling
- provides really relief from fibromyalgia symptoms
It is a must-have in the herbal medicine chest of…
families with young children.
and those who suffer from joint disorders.
Basically, anyone who ever has or will suffer from pain.
What’s in the Salve?
So before we get into the details on how to make your own Peaceful Warrior’s Salve…let’s talk about all of the amazing ingredients we’re going to be working with.
Plants such as CBD-rich hemp buds + flowers, arnica flowers, comfrey root, helichrysum flowers, St. John’s wort, devil’s claw root, ginger root, cayenne pepper, and turmeric root are all well-known for their:
- anti-inflammatory properties
- analgesic properties
- sedative properties
- antispasmodic properties
- anti-microbial properties
The Essential Oils
Essential Oils such as eucalyptus, wintergreen, ravensara, lavender, juniper berry, sandalwood, helichrysum italicum, chamomile, clary sage, frankincense, peppermint, yarrow, vetiver, and marjoram are all able to treat and relieve:
- muscle pain, tension, and spasms
- low back pain
- tension headaches
- migraine headaches
- pain caused by PMS (cramps)
- joint pain caused by rheumatism + osteoarthritis
- nerve pain
- fibromyalgia pain
DIY Peaceful Warrior’s Salve Recipe
*Choose as many organic ingredients as possible. I have linked to the products I use personally for this recipe.
- 4 ounces herb-infused oil
- 0.5-1 ounce beeswax
- 25-40 drops essential oils
- 1/2 teaspoon camphor granules
- 1/2 teaspoon menthol crystals
- Using the same method I shared with you for making my homemade CBD-rich oil (read that article here) — choose the herbs you will use to infuse into the oil you have available (for this salve I use a combo of this AMAZING organic olive oil + this AMAZING organic coconut oil). I infuse CBD-rich hemp buds, arnica flowers, comfrey root, helichrysum flowers, St. John’s wort, devil’s claw root, ginger root, cayenne pepper, and turmeric root…use whatever you have on hand. Please note :: The CBD-rich hemp + arnica are the secret to this salve! Use these two if you use nothing else.
- Once infusion is complete, be sure you collect at least 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of herb infused oil after straining.
- In a saucepan (made of non-reactive material), over low heat, melt 0.5-1 ounce (depending on how hard you’d like your salve) of beeswax into the herbal oil. I suggest starting with the lesser amount of wax — adding more if needed. Note: To check if the mixture is the right consistency, because the salve hardens as it cools, Rosemary Gladstar again suggests placing a “tablespoon of the mixture in the freezer for just a minute or two. If it’s soft, add more beeswax; if too hard, add more oil.”
- When the consistency is to your liking, remove saucepan from heat.
- Allow salve to cool slightly on the counter.
- Using a spoon or wire whisk, stir while adding camphor + menthol (if using) and essential oils. Whisk until well combined. A Note on Essential Oils :: I love using essential oils that hold anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antispasmodic, and sedative properties. Generally I add to this salve essential oils of eucalyptus, wintergreen, ravensara, lavender, juniper berry, sandalwood, helichrysum italicum, chamomile, clary sage, frankincense, peppermint, yarrow, vetiver, and marjoram. For maximum medicinal potency, I add them at a concentration of approximately 25-40 drops per 4 ounces of oil. Choose the oils you have on hand or readily available. (I highly recommend the organic essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs…check out their extensive selection of oils here.)
- Pour ointment into storage containers — click here to purchase new tins or jars. Salve will keep for 2-3 years when stored in a cool, dark place.
Rub salve liberally on your aches and pains. Add heating pad or ice pack to enhance therapeutic benefits.
-For the herbs that I can’t grow myself, I love to purchase them in bulk from Mountain Rose Herbs or a local health food store. Mountain Rose Herbs is also my go to for medicinal-grade essential oils!
-Please watch my salve-making video tutorial for additional help in learning how to make medicinal salves.
Note: Naturally the results will be different for everyone. This is by no means a cure-all. I’m just happy to share with you my experience with these plants and/or oils. Please use conventional wisdom and consult with your medical professional prior to using this or any other herbal remedy. And as we know all too well the FDA doesn’t like any type of claim…therefore, take it for what it is, and remember, this information is purely educational in its purpose.
This looks like a great salve. Thank you for sharing. I was wondering how much of each herb you use when infusing and how do you handle powders such as cayenne and turmeric when infusing(how do you determine how much powdered herb to use)
Silly question but I have menthol crystals and have been scared to use them. Do I need to mix them in when hot or when cooled? I would think they would need to be melted in, correct?
Katherine Nobles says
Mountain Rose doesn’t sell hemp buds, I’m afraid. Do you live somewhere where it’s legal to have them?
They are sold them on Amazon. They come from the UK.
Estelle Stone says
I ordered off Amazon and mine came from a foreign country. I think Bulgaria?
CBD-rich hemp plant material is THC-free and legal in all 50 states in the U.S. I buy organic off Amazon. Click the link to my post on how to make CBD-rich oil and I talk about it there:)
Andrea — I have so many questions for you!! I am going to make this but live in Colorado so I have some marijuana buds I am going to add in…. will this really pull the pain relieving properties out of the cannabis and infuse it into the oil? I want to believe it, and will try it, but I am a bit skeptical because some people have told me that it isn’t a good way to get the CBDs out of the plant material. I am going to try but want to hear your opinion? I want to make the oil first, (and I ordered the hemp CBDs from your link, just waiting for them to arrive hopefully this upcoming week). I will do two batches, one that I can use here in CO and another that I can give to my dad out of state.
Hi Rebecca! I am here in AZ and substitute cannabis flower using this very same extraction method. My handmade cannabis salve is…well, it’s incredible. The topical pain relief is unmatched! All I can say, is that it works! So long as you use heat during the infusion process, the healing chemical constituents of the cannabis will extract into your oil.
Estelle Stone says
Hi Andrea! I have received the CBD flowers and buds. I have made the oil. I just now read your pain relieving salve. I did not put Arnica or any other herb into the infusion. Do I need to? Should I make another batch or can I just make a salve with the CBD Oil I have now? I am so excited to make some pain relieving salve for all of my aches and pains! 🙂
Susan Ward says
Andrea – I really appreciate your Peaceful Warrior Salve Recipe. Something happened when I clicked the CBD link the second time and from then on out. Amazon kept sending me to an error page suggesting that I click back to their home page. I searched and searched but never saw the CBD flowers and buds referred to again. Finally, I just bought organic CBD oil and plan to add some olive oil to it to infuse the arnica flowers. Is Big Brother watching, or what?
Nora Kapche says
I tried the links to purchase, but was unable to buy. Are you still selling this item pre made?