There’s no denying that household mold and mildew can be dangerous to our health. In fact, it has been proven to promote asthma, allergies, and colds. Likewise, it is thought to increase the occurrence of mood swings and depression.
Generally speaking, prevention is the best way to eradicate the problem; however, that seems to be the issue with mold — we often don’t know it forming until it rears it’s nasty head.
Staying alert to the appearance of mold and treating it quickly is the only way to win!
Unfortunately, many of commercially-prepared products in the stores — created to solve the problem — can also cause the same problems they intend to fix.
So the question becomes…how can we do this without the use of harsh chemicals?
Start with the Basics
Here are a few things you must do to start treating the mold problem:
1. Dry out dampness. Moisture is the number one cause of mold. Drying out damp areas of the home will help to prevent the rate of incidence. This can be done most commonly by using a dehumidifier. One can also sprinkle arrowroot powder or cornstarch over the moldy area, as this will help to absorb the extra moisture. Find organic arrowroot powder here…
2. Fix the leak. Fixing those leaky pipes, or that leak in the roof, will help to eliminate the water source and prevent the conditions for which mold loves to grow.
3. Establish good air circulation. The best way to do this is to use fans throughout the home.
4. Let the sun shine in. Let the natural light of the sun into your home as much as possible. However, in areas such as the basement, consider using a UV light if things get really bad. They’ve been known to kill nearly 100% of the mold present.
Natural Recipes that Kill Household Mold
When mold is present and you need to kill it, here are a few tried and true remedies:
Tea Tree Spray *Tea tree oil is one of the best ways to kill mold naturally.
To make this spray, simply mix 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil per 1 cup of water. Load mixture into a spray bottle, shake well to combine, and spray directly on to areas of mold. Do NOT rinse. I get pure tea tree oil here for an affordable price…
After cleaning the mold with a mixture of castile soap and hot water. Spray a generous amount of straight white vinegar on to the problem areas. In the shower, I keep a spray bottle full of vinegar to spray on the tub and tile after each use. Works like a charm in the prevention department! Read more here…
Grapefruit Seed Extract Spray
In a spray bottle combine 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract and 1 cup of water. Shake well to combine. Spray the problem areas. Do NOT rinse and allow to dry. Find grapefruit seed extract here…
Hydrogen Peroxide Spray
Mix 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts water. Spray directly on to mold and allow it to dry. Note: Be sure only to make as large a batch as you will need for one application at a time.
Are you interested in learning more about effective homemade solutions for toxin-free living? Check out these books:
- Simply Clean: DIY Solutions for a Naturally Clean Home
- Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
- The Naturally Clean Home: 150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning
- Make Your Place: Affordable & Sustainable Nesting Skills
For pure, safe essential oils you can trust choose ::
- dōTERRA™ Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade™ essential oils (I LOVE these oils)
- Beeyoutiful Essential Oils (a great cost-effective brand of pure oils — the Beginner Basics Essential Oil Pack is perfect for anyone just starting on the essential oils journey!)
- Mountain Rose Herbs…they have a the best, most complete selection of pure, organic oils
What do you do to kill household mold and mildew?