Feelings of loss.
As our bodies transition from summer to winter, many of us begin to experience the seasonal effects (i.e. depression. tension, and lethargy) most often caused by:
- the decrease in light between the Autumnal equinox and the Winter solstice
- the body’s ability to work with nature in regulating our levels of melatonin — read more here…
If you suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD), then you are all to familiar with these changes in personality — from happy and bright to depressed and lack-luster. You may find yourself having difficulty:
- getting out of bed in the morning
- finding fulfillment and joy
- focusing on necessary daily tasks
- managing your weight and diet plan (especially when it comes to carbohydrates)
The following magical, heart-healing botanicals — when combined in this powerful tonic — are liken to pulling back the curtains on a sunny day.
Perfect during the long months of winter…
…or anytime light and happiness are sought!
Happy Hippie Tonic
-any size glass jar with lid
-organic dried herbs (I highly recommend purchasing herbs at your local health food store. However, if they are unavailable to you there…the quality of Mountain Rose Herbs can’t be beat.)
- 2 parts hawthorn berries
- 1 part St. John’s Wort flower and leaf
- 1 part lemon balm leaf
- 1 part violet leaf
- 1 part eleuthero root
- organic vegetable glycerin, to cover
- pure water, amount based on glass jar size, see below
- just a touch of brandy, optional
- Put herbs into a glass jar (your size choice) — filling the jar 1/3 full of dried herbs.
- Bring enough water to moisten dried plant material just to a boil and pour over herbs.
- Pour the vegetable glycerin over herbs to cover, filling the jar. Note: I like to use brandy to extract the maximum amount of goodness from the plants, and extend the self life of the tonic. If you are using, add approximately 5-10% of the total liquid in brandy to the jar at this time.
- Seal the jar and shake until mixture is well combined.
- Set the jar in a warm place and shake once or twice daily.
- After 2-4 weeks (following the principles of tincturing with the moon), strain liquid through a cheesecloth. Squeeze as much of the menstruum as possible out of the plant material. Note: If so desired, repeat steps 1-5 using the liquid extract that is strained in place of the water and vegetable glycerin. This is referred to as a double infusion, and produces a much stronger, more effective medicine.
- Pour the extract into dark amber glass bottles with dropper or keep in a glass jar in a cool, dark place. Label the bottles with the name, herbs, date made, and menstruum used. Will keep for approximately 2-3 years.
I like to take 2-3 dropperfuls of glycerite 2-3 times daily for 5 days, then discontinue for 2 days. Repeat cycle for several weeks or even months, as needed. Please contact your professional medical provider prior to use and for personal dosage recommendations.
Where Can I Get This Stuff?
–Mountain Rose Herbs…they have everything you’ll need for this remedy! It’s your one-stop-shop!
–Starwest Botanicals also has a beautiful selection of Bulk Herbs and Natural Products for Healthy, Natural Living!
–The Bulk Herb Store carries many of these ingredients if you’d like to price check.
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my knowledge-sharing/writing/blogging activities, I occasionally may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this article. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.