Echinacea Root is well known as one of the most powerful immune system builders and stimulators!
It works by first enhancing the quantity of immune cells in our bodies and then by stimulating them to action.
The benefits include…
- a shorter duration of colds and flu.
- prevention of future illnesses/infections.
- speeds recovery from chronic diseases.
Herbs for Winter Health
In my quest to create the perfect winter immunity booster for my family’s health, a Hot Echinacea Tincture was exactly what I was looking for!
It combines some of my most favorite herbs for winter health!
- Echinacea Angustifolia Root – Naturally increases the actions and functions of the immune system.
- Eleuthero (Siberian Ginseng) Root – An adaptogen, that helps the body properly respond to stress.
- Garlic — The best broad-spectrum herb…well respected for it’s antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal and antiparasitic properties.
- Cayenne Pepper — Capsaicin – the active component of peppers such as Cayenne, Habanero, Serrano, and Jalapeno – stimulates the body’s circulation and makes all of these already powerful herbs many times more effective!
Hot Echinacea Tincture
-100 proof Vodka
-1 quart-sized glass mason jar
Please note: Part equals volume, not weight.
- As many herbalist recommend — and especially during the shorter days of fall and winter when the sun’s presence has deminished – I like to start this and all of my tinctures, if possible, on a new moon.
- Using a quart-sized glass mason jar, begin filling it with the herbs and dried plant material until it is 1/4 full.
- Add enough 100 proof Vodka to the herbs to cover them, filling the jar, leaving a 1/2 inch head-space.
- Shake until well combined.
- Set the jar on a counter in a high-traffic area and shake it as many times as possible throughout each day.
- Allow the mixture to steep at least until the following full moon (approximately 2+ weeks) if you’re in a hurry. However, it’s optimal to allow the mixture to steep until the following new moon (approximately 4 weeks).
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or coffee filter.
- Pour the prepared tincture into a dark glass bottle and discard the herbs. (Note: I love these dark glass bottles for storing my tinctures!)
- Label your tincture with the name, date, and contents.
Basic Immune System Boost
- 35 drops (1 dropperful) 6 times a day for a week.
Cold or Flu Treatment
- 70 drops (2 dropperful) every hour while awake (not to exceed 8 doses), upon show of symptoms, for 2-3 days.
I recommend calculating a child’s dose by using “Young’s Rule.” Add 12 to the child’s age then divide his/her age by that number.
For example, my daughter is 6 therefore the calculation that I will use is 6/18=0.33
I will give her 33% of an adult dose.
Where Can I Get This Stuff?
-Mountain Rose Herbs…they have everything you’ll need for this remedy! It’s your one-stop-shop!
-The Bulk Herb Store also carries many of these ingredients if you’d like to price check.