With three girls at home — all with long hair — I needed an easy solution for combing through the tangles. And you know me, I don’t want to spend extra time, money, and resources for things I can simply do myself. We used to buy commercially-prepared conditioners and detangler sprays, but those products that are chemically acceptable and affordable are far and few between.
For a while we just fought through the brushing and skipped buying the detangler spray altogether.
That was until…I discovered the amazing properties of Marshmallow root!
Marshmallow root is great for the hair because it:
- contains many mucilaginous compounds.
- has a very slippery texture when made into an infusion.
- softens the hair naturally.
- promotes hair growth (due to it’s high content of plant proteins).
- provides natural shine to dull hair follicles.
- soothes dry scalp.
- reduces itchy scalp.
-1 1/4 cup distilled water
-1/4 cup dried marshmallow root
-1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
-1/2 tablespoon olive or jojoba oil
-essential oils, optional
1. Combine marshmallow root and water in a small pot and simmer over medium low heat for 15-30 minutes to allow the mucilage to release. The longer you let it simmer the thicker the mixture will be. Note: I order my Marshmallow root from Mountain Rose Herbs.
2. Remove pot from heat and allow mixture to cool.
3. Strain through a fine mesh strainer, nylon, tea towel, or cheesecloth. Squeeze the strainer in order to extract all the goodness of the herb (you will now understand how “Marshmallow” root got it’s name). Compost the herbs and reserve the liquid.
4. To the Marshmallow root infused water, add vinegar, oil, and essential oils if using.
5. Pour into a re-purposed detangler spray bottle. Re-label and use as you would commercially-prepared spray. Shake well prior to use.
Note: This formula is not.greasy.at.all. It is well absorbed by the hair and leaves it soft and managable all day! You’ll love it!
Here is my daughter’s hair first thing in the morning, before the herbal detangler spray:
And here we are after. Note: This is simply the herbal detangler spray, brushing, and air drying:
Now it’s your turn! Do you use detangler spray in your house? Have you ever made your own? Feel free to share your recipe!
Check out all of my nourishing herbal hair products — loving made by me —
in my little Etsy Shop. Click here to visit the shop!
Looking for the raw materials mentioned in this post? Mountain Rose Herbs is my go-to for all my oil, dried herb, and essential oil needs!
Be sure not to miss a post, click this link to receive my free eBook and Frugally Sustainable tips by email.