By now you all should know that I love to make my own natural health, home, and beauty products.
I love them because they work and I love them because they’re frugal.
So when I was using my fancy-pants “eco friendly, 100% natural” mouthwash the other day, I thought to myself, “I think I could make this and save myself some money!”
So I did.
Benefits of Using Homemade Mouthwash
Good oral care is vital to our health and vice versa. Health and diet have even been know to heal cavities! Rinsing out the mouth with a cleansing mouthwash is a large part of good oral hygiene. And there are many benefits to making your own:
- It’s cheap. You can create your own mouthwash at a fraction of the cost of store-bought and still experience excellent results.
- You control the ingredients. Making your own mouthwash allows you to control the quality of that which you put into your mouth.
- No hidden chemicals. Commercially prepared products are often heavy-laden with additives such as preservatives, dyes, artificial sweeteners and a multitude of harmful chemicals. Eliminate them all by making your own!
Variety of Homemade Mouthwash Recipes
There are a variety of different recipes to meet the needs of every individual. Here are just a few:
Basic Mouthwash: 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 3 drops peppermint essential oils. Mix all ingredients in a glass jar and shake well. Swish in mouth, then spit out. Store on bathroom counter.
Old-Fashioned Disinfectant Mouthwash: 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar. Combine ingredients and store in a glass jar. Shake well prior to use. Swish mixture in mouth, then spit out. Will keep indefinitely on the counter.
Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash: 1 part hydrogen peroxide mixed with 1 part water. Swish mouthwash in mouth, then spit out. Mix enough for single use and discard extra solution.
Lemon Whitening Mouthwash: Not really a mouthwash, but you can rub a piece of lemon on stained teeth for a whitening effect.
Herbal Mouthwash: Create an herbal infusion by steeping 2 cups of boiling water, 1/2 ounce of whole cloves, 1 ounce of Oregon grape root, and 1 ounce of rosemary in a pint-sized glass mason jar, overnight. In the morning strain the infusion using a piece of cheesecloth. Swish in mouth, the spit out. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Will keep for 1 week.
Simple Essential Oil Mouthwash: To 1 cup of water add 20 drops of either cinnamon, clove, wintergreen, or tea tree oil. Combine all ingredients in a glass jar. Shake well prior to each use in order to distribute the essential oils. Will keep on the bathroom counter indefinitely.
Antiseptic Homemade Mouthwash
- 4 ounces (120 ml) peppermint hydrosol (flower water)
- 4 ounces (120 ml) strong herbal infusion made with echinacea angustifolia root, sage leaves, and peppermint leaves
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) thyme extract
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) myrrh gum extract
- 5-10 drops 100% wild-crafted mint flavor extract
- Combine all ingredients in a pint-sized glass mason jar.
- Shake well to blend.
Shake well prior to use. Swish in mouth for 30 seconds, then spit out. Will store in glass jar on bathroom counter indefinitely.
Myrrh gum has broad-spectrum antiseptic properties. It is also well known as an anti-inflammatory — excellent for use in treatment of oral ailments…namely gum disease.
Where Can I Get This Stuff?
-Mountain Rose Herbs…they have everything you’ll need for this remedy! I LOVE the quality of their raw materials. And be sure to purchase all of your non-GMO, strictly medicinal herbal seeds for your garden from them too! It’s your one-stop-shop!
-Health doesn’t come from plastic bottles. Vitality grows naturally from the way you live your life. If you want to learn more about herbs as medicine and as food, and if you’re just too busy to enroll in an in-person program, join the Herbal Academy of New England for a comprehensive and convenient online herbal course you can complete anywhere and anytime!
I do have 3 different Herbal Mouthwash flavors
– peppermint, cinnamon clove, and tea tree –
that may be purchased in my Etsy Shop.