Today I want to share with you an all-natural product that you can make easily at home in order to build your DIY medicine chest. This homemade antiseptic ointment is packed full with germ-killing properties that will help treat everyday/minor cuts, scraps, and abrasions. You can use this ointment just as you would a tube of that pricey commercially-prepared stuff.
Best part of this is…you control the ingredients!
First-Aid Antiseptic Ointment
-1 1/2 ounces beeswax, grated
-1 cup olive, almond, or coconut oil
-1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
-1/2 teaspoon tea tree oil
-20 drops lavender essential oil
-10 drops lemon essential oil
1. Over very low heat, in a small pot or double boiler, melt oils and beeswax.
2. Remove from heat and add vitamin E oil and essential oils. Stir with a chopstick.
3. Pour mixture into small sterilized jars (or a mason jar). Allow to cool on counter.
4. Store in a cool, dark place. Use as needed on wounds. Will keep for approximately 5 years.
-Antiseptic properties of the essential oils include:
- Tea tree oil: antibiotic, anti-fungal, antiviral, antibacterial
- Lavender: analgesic (pain relief), antibiotic, anti-fungal, antiviral, antibacterial
- Lemon: antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial
-For those who do not like the smell of lavender…you may substitute chamomile essential oils for lavender and fir essential oils for lemon.